Bearing in mind what we expected to find in a sales ledger, we can say typical data input into sales ledger system is as follows.
- Amendments to customer details, eg change of address, change of credit limits etc
- Insertion of new customers
- Deletion of old “non-active” customers
Transaction data relating to:
- Sales transaction, for invoicing
- Customer payments
- Credit notes
- Adjustments (debit or credit items)
Some computerized sales ledgers produce invoices, so that basic sales data is input into the system. But other business might have a specialized invoicing module, so that the sales ledger package is not expected to produce invoices. The invoice details are already available (as output from the specialized module) and are input into the sales ledger system rather than basic sales data.