The following information should be disclosed in the group accounts.
- Its net assets
- Its profit or loss for the period
- Any amounts included in the consolidated profit and loss account in respect of, dividends received by the holding company from the subsidiary, writing down the value of the investment.
- The reason of exclusion
- The names of subsidiaries excluded
- The premium or discount on acquisition net written off
- Anything else required by the companies acts
If control is temporary (the investment is held purely for resale), the temporary investment should be included under current assets in the consolidated balance sheet at the lower of cost and net realizable value.
The companies act requires that when consolidated group accounts are not prepared, or if any subsidiaries are excluded from the group accounts (from any reasons given above), a note to the accounts should be given:
- To explain the reasons why the subsidiaries are not dealt with in group accounts
- To disclose any auditors’ qualifications in the accounts of the excluded subsidiaries